Pages

Monday, September 30, 2013

Friends that are just like family

When you move around and you live hundreds of miles away from home, other people become like family. I'm pretty used to having friends that I treat like family. When I was about 5 years old we moved from Texas to Louisiana and left behind all our family. There were times when I really hated not having them nearby especially during the holidays. In our small town it seemed like everyone knew everyone, or they were related to one another. But I've made some great friends that are better than family. My husband and I spend time with them every time we go to Louisiana and they treat us like relatives and I love them and know I can count on them always.

So now that we are really far from home, we've met other military folk that are just like us. We now go to church, and spend one day a week going to bible study and sharing food and stories.  I also volunteer once a week to make food for new Airmen and their families. But most of all I can already tell that we have met friends that are going to be like family by the time we leave. The funny thing is that the first people I met and that made me feel at home were from Louisiana. One is from Shreveport, and the other is from Metairie what a small world, and how funny is it that God puts people in your life just when you need them.

Tonight we are going to game night, and I'm making a pot of chili to share. And tomorrow I'll be going with my new friend to Ikea to buy some stuff I need to make our little English home feel a little more like home. I feel really blessed to have the friends that I do and even more blessed to make friends along the way.

Here's some of the friends at a baby shower we threw for one of them. 





No comments: