Pages

Friday, July 12, 2013

Life in Britain so far...





So, I've been in England about a month and even though I joined a lot forums, and Facebook pages to get as much information as I could about England before coming, there was still a lot I didn't know. I figured I'd share some of those things. And as I learn more I will add on.

Taxes:

The Brits have a lot of taxes that I didn't know about, like TV tax. That's right!  there is a TV tax for every TV that you own. Our rental agent is helping us with the paperwork and I will have to pay this tax yearly. I'm not sure how much it is yet but I will have to post that later.

There is a road tax some states in the US have these, it's like property taxes that you pay yearly, however the money doesn't go to the actual roads. I will never again complain about the roads in US again.

There is a Council Tax it's like property taxes back home, luckily for now we are exempt from that tax.

There is a congestion tax that you pay to drive in London. And you better pay that tax before you drive in London or else one of the many camera's on the roadway will catch you.

I heard that there is a window screen tax but I think that may be a myth not really sure about that one yet.

I will say that for all the taxes they have some of it does go back into the community. They have very nice parks every village big or small has at least a park and a community building.

Our little community has a great park, bike and walking trails, tennis courts, and soccer fields; or should I say football fields.  A community building that offers workout classes, dance classes and can be rented out for functions.
 
 
Here's some pictures of the park near our home.
 









The roads are probably the worst I have ever driven on. They're narrow and winding only a few of them are wide enough for large vehicles. The national speed limit is 60mph and the only other speed limits are 30 in towns and 70 on the interstate or carriageway as they are called here.



 love how some of the roads look like there are houses on them


 Everyone that has never traveled to England, told us the food was terrible and that we would hate it so much. Well I have tried the traditional fish and chips they were less than stellar, but the food here is great!
It's true fish and chips are what the country is known for and it's kept many poor folk from going hungry. But there are a lot of other tasty foods to try and so far everywhere we have been has been great. 

Fish and chips from a small diner in Newmarket

Cottage pie OKA shepherds pie from a pub near Bury The cheese on this was so good.

So although we may not know everything we have found some good and some bad, it's a great adventure so far and I can't wait to see more of this beautiful country. Oh yeah, the internet sucks!

No comments: