Pages

Saturday, July 20, 2013

First trip to Cambridge, UK

Cambridge is only about 30 mins from my front door and I suspect that we will be going a lot. This past week we went for the first time.  There are so many stores, pubs and historic buildings that my eyes didn't know where to look first. Cambridge has a market right in the center of town and it has so many things for sale. There was jewelry, music, homemade soaps, crafts, food, and flowers. 
We decided to go punting and by we, I mean me. It's a very touristy thing to do but I wanted to sit in the boat and let someone else do all the work. And we got the best guy, our guide was a New Orleans Saints fan.  He went to New Orleans after Katrina and fell in love with the food and Saints football. Of course he knew were from the because Mick wears either LSU or Saints T-shirts or baseball hats everyday of his life. He was a real cutie! and so were a lot of the other cute guys punting. Haha!!

So he explained a lot about the different colleges, and the history of the city and punting all while talking football whenever he got the chance.
 
 
This was  our guide! And my forehead
 
 
 





More cute guides! come on girls, don't you want to come to Cambridge?

 
 
 Cambridge has 31 colleges, and they are all old. Some are very small and some are large. One of the largest and most famous is Kings College. This is the side that faces the water and I can't wait to come back and take a tour inside, and walk the grounds outside. Maybe sit under a tree like this guy and read a book.


These are one of the many bridges across the River Cam and many just connect 1 side of a college to the other.

 
 This is part of St John's college and in the fall this Virginia Creeper Ivy turns red!. I have to come back for that. This Saturday there were so many people just relaxing on the lawns, and taking in sun and having picnics it made me jealous that I didn't grow up in a place like this.
 
 
 

This is the market, as mentioned in past post; most villages have market day. Cambridge has one every day.
 
 
 











This booth smelled so good, and it was hard to resist.

 
I didn't get the best picture here but those little barrels are full of olives, each different a flavor or spice.
 



Cambridge is very bike friendly, there are bike trails, and paths everywhere. Probably because all the students need a way to get around and parking is hard to find.
 

 
 



 
 
This is the front part of King's College
 
 







I have a such a crush on doors here. Yes doors! they are so large and wooded and old. Maybe before we leave I can find an old door to bring back with me.
 
 
 
 




No comments: